Note that no action is required. All current passwords will continue to work.
Development work is ongoing to change the way members login to the portal. This will replace providing 5 pieces of personal information with just an email address and password combination. Note there will be provision for allowing shared email addresses and the cut-over will be under member control. Much more will be communicated on this once a likely implementation date firms up.
In advance of this there will be some tidying up in the way passwords are handled for System Users to make them easier to use and manage.
Note: if you are having visual issues such as the eye icon being outside the white password box then clear your browser's cache.
If you use a password manager then you may find it also uses an "eye" icon that can overlap the Beacon one.
Firstly note that all existing passwords will continue to work, no action needs to be taken.
The most visible change will be the introduction of an "eye" that when clicked reveals the characters typed so far.
Combined with this Beacon will no longer suppress invalid characters when a password is entered - they will need to be corrected, usually by revealing the password with the "eye" feature. This is being done as the warning alert displayed as characters are typed is easy to miss and to make it easier when passwords are copied and pasted.
- When Beacon generates a temporary password it will no longer include characters that are easily confused - specifically 1, l, I, 0 and O (one, letter l, upper-case i. zero, letter O).
- Password will need to be 10 or more characters long. The upper limit will be 72 - there is a limit of 15 when a new password to replace a temporary one was being entered.
- To keep it simple then as well as letters and digits, the only special characters allowed are ! @ # $ % ^ & *
- The comma at the end of the messaging displaying a temporary password has been removed to avoid confusion.
- The green Confirmed message no longer appears.